Orlando Post-Operative Care Error Attorneys
Undergoing a surgical procedure can be physically strenuous and emotionally stressful. While you are recovering from surgery, you count on your doctors and postoperative health care workers to monitor your condition and ensure that you are safe. If they fail to do so, you could suffer life-threatening complications that result in serious injury or even death.
If you have suffered injuries or lost a family member because of what you believe to be a post-operative care error, an experienced medical malpractice attorney can help you navigate the complex and unfamiliar Florida legal system to ensure that you are fully and fairly compensated for your injuries or loss.
At Bailey Fisher, PLLC, we have more than half a century of combined successful legal experience both in and out of the courtroom. We welcome the opportunity to put that experience to use fighting for you and your rights.
Post-Operative Errors in Florida Hospitals
Physicians, nurses, and other health care providers have an ongoing responsibility to patients who have recently undergone surgery to monitor and care for them to prevent post-operative complications, such as:
- Infection. Any time a surgeon operates, the risk of post-operative infection exists by virtue of the very nature of surgery. Even a minuscule opening in your skin presents an opening for bacteria that can lead to infection. A seemingly minor local infection can spread, ultimately entering your bloodstream and causing a system-wide bacterial infection referred to as “sepsis.”
Sepsis is a medical emergency that can lead to death if not caught immediately and treated aggressively with antibiotic therapy, fluids, and close monitoring in an intensive care unit. Failing to catch and/or treat sepsis can lead to septic shock which is marked by dangerously low blood pressure (hypotension). Septic shock, in turn, can lead to kidney failure, multi-organ failure, and eventually death.
- Medication errors. Most patients require medications after surgery to prevent infection, manage pain, and to address a variety of other potential complications. Unfortunately, medication errors are a leading cause of post-operative errors. A medication error can occur when the wrong type or dose of medication is prescribed, by a healthcare provider dispensing the wrong medication or by dangerous drug interactions being overlooked.
- Blood clots. A post-operative patient needs to be closely monitored for an appropriate period of time following surgery to ensure that life-threatening complications do not arise. A common complication that should be quickly recognized and treated with proper monitoring is post-op blood clots. After surgery, a patient faces an elevated risk of developing a clot, particularly in their legs. For this reason, the health care team monitoring a post-operative patient should get them up and walking as soon as possible to prevent clots. Medication and compression stockings may also be necessary.
Failing to diagnose and treat a blood clot can result in the clot breaking loose and moving through the body’s circulatory system. Ultimately, a blood clot could become lodged in vital blood vessels and block the flow of blood to vital organs which can lead to a heart attack, stroke, or a pulmonary embolism.
Who Is at Fault for Post-Operative Errors in Florida?
When a patient is injured or dies as a result of a post-operative error, it can be challenging to determine who is at fault because more than one physician or health care professional likely treated or monitored the patient after surgery. Among the health care professionals who may be legally responsible for injuries following surgery are:
- A surgeon who performed the operation.
- An anesthesiologist who administered anesthesia.
- A hospital where the surgery was performed.
- A nurse or other health care professional who was charged with monitoring the patient.
- The pharmacist or pharmacy staff responsible for dispensing medication.
Often, the fault for a post-operative error is shared by more than one party. For instance, a surgeon may be responsible for failing to properly close an incision, but the hospital staff may also be liable for failing to diagnose and treat the infection that developed as a result of the surgeon’s failure.
One important reason to contact an experienced medical malpractice attorney when you believe you were injured or lost a loved one because of a post-operative error is to ensure that all the responsible parties are held accountable. An experienced attorney will thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your post-operative care and conditions, consult with medical experts and determine all negligent, liable parties.
What Compensation Can Be Recovered with a Florida Medical Malpractice Claim for Damages from a Post-Operative Error?
A Florida medical malpractice claim can hold negligent health care professionals and organizations accountable for a post-operative error. Florida law defines medical malpractice as the failure of a health care provider to act in accordance with the accepted professional standard of care owed to their patients. When health care providers are negligent and do not act as a reasonably prudent medical provider of the same specialty would act and their negligence causes a patient to suffer serious injury or wrongful death, they may be held liable for the harm they caused.
By taking legal action against the liable parties, victims of post-operative errors may be able to obtain full and fair compensation for the damages they suffered. These damages may include:
- Current and future medical expenses
- Lost income
- Decreased earning ability
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished ability to enjoy life
- Other damages recoverable under Florida law
Medical malpractice lawsuits to recover damages related to post-operative errors can be very complex. Fortunately, the Bailey Fisher medical malpractice attorneys have the experience to handle all of the legal complexities for you. We have the knowledge, skill and experience necessary to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of your case, hold all negligent parties accountable and obtain the full compensation you deserve.
Get the Help You Need from Experienced Orlando Post-Operative Error Attorneys
If you were injured by a post-operative error or a family member died due to a post-operative error, you need an experienced and dependable voice in the legal system, which will allow you to focus on your recovery. The compassionate medical malpractice attorneys of Bailey Fisher are committed to helping you understand your legal options, protecting your rights and pursuing the full compensation you deserve.
We are committed to aggressively pursuing the negligent party (or parties) to make sure they are held accountable and that you receive the maximum compensation available for your medical expenses, lost income, pain, and suffering.
If you were injured because of a post-operative error, or you believe a family member died as a result of one, contact an experienced Orlando post-operative error attorney at Bailey Fisher to discuss your legal options by calling 407-628-2929 or filling out our online contact form.