Orlando Retail Store Accident Attorneys
Shopping at a retail store can be a pleasurable experience, but if you are injured while shopping, the experience could end up being anything but pleasant. A retail store accident could actually cause serious injuries that might affect you for the rest of your life.
Although nothing can turn back the clock and prevent an injury accident, Florida law can hold a retail store liable when a shopper is injured on the premises. At Bailey Fisher, we are dedicated to helping injured victims pursue the financial compensation they are entitled to as a result of physical injuries and psychological trauma suffered in a retail store accident.
Retail Store Accidents
With over two million permanent residents and close to 100 million visitors each year, the greater Orlando area is a shopper’s paradise. From the small family-owned boutiques to the international stores found in megamalls, every retail store could be the site of an accident waiting to happen. Among the most common hazards found in a retail store are:
- Wet floors – a slip and fall on a wet floor can be the result of liquid merchandise leaking or breaking, water tracked in from outside, or failure to thoroughly clean and dry the floor.
- Falling merchandise – stores often stack surplus merchandise on shelves. If that merchandise falls, it can cause injuries.
- Obstacles in the aisles – retail stores must showcase merchandise to make sales. Sometimes, the layout is haphazard or poorly designed, resulting in obstacles that can cause a shopper to trip and fall.
- Inadequate security – failure to provide adequate security can result in a shopper becoming the victim of theft or assault.
- Uneven surfaces – concrete flooring can chip and crack over time, parking lots can develop pot holes because of lack of proper maintenance, curbs and ramps may not be maintained properly or built according to applicable codes or regulations, or other deficiencies on the property may create a serious hazard to shoppers in a retail store.
- Maintenance issues – burned out light bulbs, broken shelving, and plumbing leaks are but a few of the maintenance issues that can result in injuries to a retail shopper.
When Is a Retail Store Responsible for Injuries to a Shopper?
If a shopper in a retail store is injured, the store may be held responsible through the legal concept known as “premises liability.” A property owner is legally required to keep the property reasonably safe and free from potential hazards. The extent to which a property owner must go to keep a visitor free from harm depends on the visitor’s classification. The law classifies visitors as “invitees,” “licensees,” or “trespassers,” with the highest duty of care owed to invitees. As a shopper in a retail store, you are an invitee because you are invited onto the property for a business or public purpose.
Although a retail store owner owes a duty of care to an invitee, an injured victim must still prove negligence on the part of the store to be entitled to compensation. The duty of care requires a retail store owner to keep the property in a reasonably safe condition and either repair or provide notice of any known dangers on the premises. A store owner can even be held responsible for dangerous conditions that a property owner should have known about through the exercise of reasonable care, but of which they were unaware. To recover monetary damages, an accident victim must show that the store breached its duty of care and that the breach caused, or contributed to, the victim’s injuries.
Get Help from Experienced Orlando Retail Store Accident Attorneys
At Bailey Fisher Law, our experienced retail store accident attorneys have the dedication and drive necessary to secure compensation from liable property owners for injured victims.
If you suffered injuries as a result of an accident that occurred at a retail store, you may be entitled to pursue a lawsuit against the store owner. We are committed to aggressively advocating for your right to compensation for physical and emotional injuries caused by a retail store accident.
Call us at 407-628-2929 or submit our online form today. One of our experienced Orlando retail store accident attorneys will evaluate your case for free. For viable personal injury cases, we will follow up with the necessary legal action to hold the responsible party accountable for their negligence and recover the financial compensation you deserve for your pain, suffering, and losses.